Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Recycling Station

Japan is very serious about waste disposal, which of course is a good thing when it comes to recycling. You gotta separate burnable from non-burnable & that differs from city to city depending on how hot the incinerator is. My biggest hurdle was I didn't know where the collection spot was - my kind neighbour came over this morning (at the request of the real estate agent) & showed me the 2 closest places.

In my city I have the following categories:
  • Burnable Day - twice a week
  • Non-Burnable Day - twice a month
  • Aluminium/Steel/Metals Day (separated) - twice a month
  • Glass Bottles/Returnable Bottles Day (colour separated) - twice a month
  • Paper/Cloth Day (separated) - twice a month
I have a double sided poster (green sheet on spare fridge) with all the rules, regulations & days marked. Today I found out burnable has to go in the red bag - not blue as I had thought! I just transferred the rubbish which was fun fun fun!

To be honest I really like that they're so into recycling! In Okaya, they go one step further to make sure everyone follows the rules. It's COMPULSORY to - well look below & see for yourself!


No comments: